Friday, July 18, 2008

Simpler Times

I think this is a post that most Phillie fans in their late 20's-early 30's can appreciate.

I found this old program, and it flat-out made me smile.

First, it is from the magical 1993 season.

Second, it features autographs from Kyle Abbott and Ruben Amaro, Jr. - the two players the Phillies acquired when they rid themselves of the posterboy from the dreadful mid-to-late 80's teams, Von Hayes.

Third - I actually kept score. I can't remember the last time I did that.

Four, it was a victory over the division rival Braves, who threw John Smoltz that day.

And, finally, while he will tell you it really wasn't him who hit that homerun, Dutch Daulton had a round tripper that afternoon.

2 comments:

Gonzo said...

what an awesome post dude. although you are incorrect on some things.

-While your program might be from 1993, that scorecard is from a 1992 game. The only season in which Stan Javier played for the Phils.

-the Braves didn't arrive in the NL East until 1994.

-isn't it funny Dutch led the league in RBIs with 109 in 1992?

Philly Keith said...

holy crap, a game where Dave Hollins didn't get plunked by a fastball... I do see that Juan Bell made his usually error in the 7th though.

Awesome post, had flashbacks from some of those god awful late 80's Phillies teams I grew up with. Shout out to Rick Shue!